The China Works on Nottingham Road is marked on Burdett's Plan of Derby published in 1767, and equates approximately with the area bounded by Wood Street/Alice Street/Fox Street, as shown on the 1967 Ordnance Survey 25" sheet SK3537 (Fig. 2). Excavation in this area in 1987, 1989 and 1990 recovered fragments of glazed porcelain figures, moulds, kiln furniture, bone and wood ash, interpreted as a kiln dump. The dating for the site is suggested as 1770-90 on the basis of the use of charcoal as fuel, and the presence of a number of base sherds incised with the letter 'B'. (1)
Alderman Thomas Clarke was the last owner of the Derby China factory on Nottingham Road, which closed in 1848. (3)
The 1852 Board of Health map shows the site occupied at that time by the Convent of the Sisters of Mercy. (4)
Article in serial: Barkla, R & Barkla, R. 1997. 'A 1770-90 Kiln Dump of the Derby China Works', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 117, pp 28-33.
Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 78.
Map: Board of Ordnance. 1852. Map of the Borough of Derby … Surveyed … for the local Board of Health A.D.1852.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 355 366 (71m by 58m) (Approximate)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:22AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.