Monument record MDR10251 - Manchester Brewery (site of), Ashbourne Road, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- BREWERY (Victorian - 1848 AD to 1848 AD)
- None recorded
The Manchester Brewery, established by Thomas Eyre in 1848, has been demolished. All that remains of the brewery and maltings complex is an 1880s malthouse on Manchester Street with a separate squarish kiln house at the south-west side [see SMR 32652]. (1) Once an important group of malthouses and brewery offices designed by George Henry Sheffield for Stretton's Ltd, which had been taken over by John Porter's Manchester Brewery (founded 1835) in 1867. Built 1869-72. Later amalgamated with Alton's Brewery (Wardwick) and in 1931 taken over by Ind Coupe & Allsopp; closed by Allied Breweries after World War Two. One major element was destroyed by fire in 2002; the remainder was adapted as apartments. The whole was surveyed and recorded for English Heritage by Amber Patrick in 1994 but listing was refused. Cottages on Manchester Street behind provided for the workforce. (2) The Board of Health map of 1852 shows the Brewery immediately adjacent to, and south of, Ashbourne Road. (3)
- <1> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 2.
- <2> SDR20302 Unpublished document: 2007. 'Derby Civic Society Suggested Local List Additions', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 15-26. p 15.
- <3> SDR20012 Map: Board of Ordnance. 1852. Map of the Borough of Derby … Surveyed … for the local Board of Health A.D.1852.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 33937 36663 (64m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 4:28PM