Monument record MDR10254 - Old Brewery (site of), Ashbourne Road, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- BREWERY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- MANAGERS HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1850 AD)
- None recorded
Old Brewery, Ashbourne Road. Surviving buildings of an early nineteenth century brewery, known as the 'Old Brewery' as it predated the other brewery built by Thomas Eyre in 1848 on the opposite side of the Ashbourne Road. The earliest recorded brewer was John Porter in 1823; latterly it was run by the Wheal Brothers into the early years of the 20th century. It comprises two-storey brick buildings with slate roofs. (1) The extent of the brewery in 1852 is shown on the Board of Ordnance's map of Derby. (2) Prior to the demolition of a former balloon factory on 42-48 Ashbourne Road, Derby, historic building recording was carried out. The oldest structure encountered was an early 19th century vaulted cellar associated with the site of the brewery. The cellar had coursed sandstone block walls with traditional diagonal tooling, and a brick vault of elliptical profile. Part of the original stone flag floor survived, although other parts of the floor were surfaced with concrete. There were various openings and recesses, at least one of which had clearly been a coal chute, others probably having also been chutes for the delivery of raw materials for brewing. One recess was smoke-blackened and therefore some form of flue. (3) The earliest map showing the site of the brewery is dated 1815 and it is likely that the brewery was already in operation by that time, with buildings comprising the brewery itself and the brew master's house of John Porter, the earliest known brewer on the site. White's Directory of 1857 lists John Porter continuing to operate a brewery on the site, while Kelly's Directory of 1887 and the edition of 1899 record that the brewery and its structures had, by this time, been acquired by Weall Brothers, identified as brewers and wine & spirit merchants. The Ordnance Survey map of 1902 continues to show the brew master's house and garden as unaltered (now 50 Ashbourne Road); however, a significantly different footprint is depicted for the other building. Kelly's Directory of 1908 records that the site was owner the ownership of Joseph Dickenson, a 'builder and contractor', by that time. From the early 1950s the site became a latex balloon factory, in use as such until 2007. Following demolition, a watching brief further recorded the cellar identified during earlier building recording before this was backfilled and the entire site levelled for development. (4)
- <1> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 5.
- <2> SDR20012 Map: Board of Ordnance. 1852. Map of the Borough of Derby … Surveyed … for the local Board of Health A.D.1852.
- <3> SDR20994 Unpublished document: Grover, P (Grover Lewis Associates). 2010. Historic Building Record - Former Balloon Factory, 42-48 Ashbourne Road, Derby.
- <4> SDR20990 Unpublished document: Gadsby, M (HRG). 2010. An Archaeological Watching Brief Report - Land at the former Fantasia Balloon Factory, 42-48 Ashbourne Road, Derby.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34120 36666 (53m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2017 4:26PM