Building record MDR10256 - Former malthouse, Forman Street, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- MALT HOUSE (Victorian - 1840 AD to 1890 AD)
- None recorded
Malthouse, Forman Street. Long single storey brick malthouse from late 1840s with hipped roof and a range of cast-iron windows along the street frontage. The cistern section with its steep pyramidal roof survives at the south end and the kiln section at the north end. In use as a malthouse until about 1900; now in mixed commercial use. (1) Shown as Cardboard box Manufactory on OS 25" map for 1900. (2) Built circa 1840-50 as a malthouse, for Maltster Alderman Robert Forman. Cast iron windows on the Uttoxeter New Road end were removed around 1998. There are much more authentic interiors at the southern end. (3)
- <1> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 5.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.13.
- <3> SDR21254 Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34780 36081 (50m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:22AM