Gomersal Colliery is shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of 1876, with a kiln and a shaft being named and a tip being depicted. (1) It is not shown on the Parliamentary Enclosure map of 1846 and presumably therefore was not sunk until after that date. (2) It was apparently no longer in use by the end of the century as the site is marked as 'Old Coal Pit' and 'Gomersal Farm'. It is not clear whether the farm was present, but not named, in 1876. (3)
At least one beehive coke oven survives on the site, partly covered by a shale tip. It is possible that one or two more ovens are buried under spoil and other debris. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XVIII.1, 1876.
Map: 1846. Dronfield Parliamentary Enclosure Award & Plan.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XVIII.1, 1898.
Personal Observation: 2006. Sketch map and photographs provided to SMR by Mr J Cartwright, Dronfield.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35254 78013 (94m by 91m)
DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 13 2014 4:19PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.