Monument record MDR10260 - Fallswood Colliery (site of), Gomersall Lane, Dronfield

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1850 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Fallswood Colliery is shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of 1876, with a kiln and two shafts named on the map. (1) It is not shown on the Parliamentary Enclosure map of 1846 and presumably therefore was not sunk until after that date. (2) It was apparently no longer in use by the end of the century as the site is marked as 'Old Coal Pit'. (2)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XVIII.1, 1876.
  • <2> Map: 1846. Dronfield Parliamentary Enclosure Award & Plan.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XVIII.1, 1898.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 35104 78046 (215m by 71m)
Civil Parish DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 13 2014 4:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.