Building record MDR10263 - Former Boot and Shoe Factory, Burton Road, Derby
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1870 AD to 1950 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Boot and Shoe Factory, Burton Road. Three storey block fronting Burton Road on the corner of Spa Lane with ornate brick detailing and a slate pitched roof. Two further ranges continue down Spa Lane each of two storeys, plain bricks, with stone heads and sills and gable-ended slate roofs. Established in c.1870 by James Forman, boot and shoe manufacturer. The main part is currently in use by a manufacturer of ladies underwear. (1)
Three storey late 19th century factory building, formerly Clemson’s boot and shoe manufactory. It has a slate roof with elaborate projecting eaves courses and brick molded hoods to the second floor windows, which are replacement uPVC windows. The first floor has original windows, although some have been boarded over. Those on Spa Lane are twin sashes and those on the front elevation are with a semi-circular headed top sash. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 7.
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34940 35426 (29m by 24m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2020 12:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.