Aiton & Co., Stores Road. Large factory premises with a particularly notable range of offices fronting Stores Road. These raised two storey offices with a lower entrance at street level were built in 1931 to designs by architects Norah Aiton and Betty Scott. Steel-framed with rendered brick facing and ranges of continuous steel-framed windows, they are considered to be a fine early example of the Modern or International style of architecture. Aitons came to Derby from London in 1907. The firm's principal concern was the manufacture of pre-fabricated steel pipes but later added sea-water distillation plant to its specialities. Now owned by the Shaw Group UK Ltd. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 15.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35853 37077 (154m by 140m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 26 2020 12:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.