Leys Malleable Castings Co. Ltd. Little remains of the former Ley's works apart from the Mess Room on the corner of Colombo Street and Shaftesbury Street, the Company's office in Colombo Street and some modern workshops alongside the main Derby-Birmingham line now in mixed use. The Mess Room is brick with stone dressings and has a projecting entrance porch and slate roof. It was a recreational facility for both Leys and its associated company, Ewart Chainbelt Ltd. Now in use for manufacturing purposes. Colombo House is adjacent to the Mess Room: it is brick with a slate roof and a gabled classical entrance. Datestone '1925' on the west side wall. Now in another firm's office use. Leys works was established in 1880 by Francis Ley who had previously worked for Andrew Handyside & Co. Soon after developing the works he secured the sole British right to manufacture the American-designed Ewart's drive chain belts and a separate works facility was developed alongside the Leys factory. Ewart's Chainbelt Ltd continues as a separate going concern. (1)
Ley's Foundry. Neo-classical office building with a distinct corporate flavour, but well-detailed and with a good classical entrance aedicule. Built 1933-34 to designs of W F Richardson for Sir Henry Ley, 2nd Baronet. (2)
Colombo House (former Ley's foundary). Former headquarters of Ley’s foundry, including offices and mess hall. Built between 1933-34 to the designs of W. F. Richardson in a Renaissance style, with stone dressings and substantial brick boundary wall with cast iron railings and gates still in situ. Impressive stone doorcase at entrance with broken scrolled pediment with swag between. Architect was formerly of MacPherson & Richardson. The offices were built for Sir Henry Ley, 2nd Bt. Sir Francis Ley, who had established malleable castings foundry on Osmaston Road in 1874, became an apprentice to Andrew Handyside. These offices are a surviving reminder of large scale industry in Derby which no longer exists. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 16.
Unpublished document: 2007. 'Derby Civic Society Suggested Local List Additions', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 15-26. p 17.
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 13/4.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35984 34354 (285m by 510m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2017 4:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.