Building record MDR10288 - 14 St Helen's Street, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Victorian - 1841 AD to 1841 AD)
- None recorded
Built on the probable site of St Helen's Abbey (SMR18957). (1) Nos 12 & 14 St Helen's Street. No.12 ... built in 1817-9. (SMR 32154) Used by William Haslam, whitesmith, bell-hanger and brass founder as his workshop from the early 1830s. He built the adjacent smaller two storey house (No 14) for himself in 1841. (2) In December 2003 Birmingham Archaeology undertook a desk-based and historic building assessment of land in the St Helen's area of Derby city centre, delimited by Lodge Lane, St Helen's Street, King Street and Willow Street. A summary of the archaeological and historical development of the site is based largely on the work of Steer. A building description with photograph is provided of 14 St Helen's Street. (3) In 2006 Trent & Peak Archaeological Unit was commissioned by Metropolitan Housing Trust, through Franklin Ellis Architects, to carry out an historic building survey on 10-14 St Helen's Street and adjacent land, in advance of redevelopment. The extensive research carried out on the site by local historian Jane Steer in recent years is drawn upon, and with the use of maps a summary of the history of the site is suggested. The site was acquired by Richard Brown and his son, manufacturers of spar products, in about 1802. They established a new factory, probably reusing existing buildings,and expanded into an E-shaped complex facing St Helen's Street, certainly by about 1819. In the 1830s the site was divided between William Haslam, a whitesmith, who acquired the west wing, and Joseph Hall who bought or leased the remaining buildings to carry on spar production. The Haslam's rebuilt most of the west wing, and built two new buildings to the west, No. 14 St Helen's Street, and No. 16 which became a pub and has been demolished. (4, 5) In April 2006 Birmingham Archaeology undertook a programme of archaeological building recording in advance of construction work related to the 'Connecting Derby' road scheme. The buildings recorded at Level 2/3 (as defined by English Heritage) were 2-8 St Helen's Street and Unit 1, 71 King Street. The buildings recorded at Level 1 (as defined by English Heritage) were 10, 12 and 14 St Helen's Street. (6)
- <1> SDR18848 Unpublished document: Steer, J (Derbyshire Archaeological Society). 2002. From Religious Oratory to Spar Manufactory: The Development of the Site of St Helens on King St, Derby.
- <2> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 17.
- <3> SDR20362 Unpublished document: Hislop, M (Birmingham Archaeology). 2003. Land Between King Street, St. Helen's Street and Lodge Lane, Derby: An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Building Assessment. pp 6, 9; Plate 7; Fig. 12.
- <4> SDR20225 Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPAU). 2006. An Historic Building Survey of 10-14 St. Helen's Street, Derby, 2006.
- <5> SDR20078 Article in serial: Sheppard, R. 2007. 'Derby, St Helen's Street', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 127, pp 128-130.
- <6> SDR20366 Unpublished document: Ric Tyler (Birmingham Archaeology). 2007. Connecting Derby: Historic Building Recording Stage 2 - Land between King Street, St. Helen's Street and Lodge Lane.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34974 36736 (18m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2022 12:48PM