Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR10290 - 22 Irongate, Derby

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

22 Irongate. Two storey house of late seventeenth century date with first floor oversailing shop front below. The house and workshop behind were occupied by John Whitehurst II (1761-1834), clockmaker, son of the horologist John Whitehurst (1713-1786). The workshop was subsequently occupied by John Davis, instrument maker (1834-1872), and then by William Haslam and his wrought ironsmith son, Edwin (1874-1916). The panel below the shop window still bears the legend 'William Haslam' in iron letters on a sheet metal background. (1) This three-storey, gabled and jettied timber-framed house faces east onto Irongate, almost opposite the Cathedral, with two shops on the ground floor separated by a central passage, and a Bistro occupying the upper two floors. There is a small modern ground floor extension in the backyard, with a freestanding brick workshop further up the yard. This appears to be a 16th century, timber-framed, L-shaped building whose western arm has been totally rebuilt, or cased, in brick in the mid to late 18th century. (2) No. 22 Iron Gate dates from the 17th century, however there is an earlier timber frame, which has now been cemented and painted, said to date from circa 1540. The building is two storeys, with an attic in the gables. There are two gables to the front with later plain bargeboards. The 1st stoery oversails and has two mid-18th century 3-light oriel windows, each having a fluted frieze with paterae and moulded cornice. The ground storey has inset modern but sympathetic shop windows with the passage entrance between having a facsimile doorway and door. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 18.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 6, 29th September 1987.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1287267.



Grid reference Centred SK 35178 36456 (38m by 26m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1935

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 23 2021 11:49AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.