'Militia Barracks (Disused)' marked on the 1st ed. OS map of c. 1880. (1)
Appears to be replaced by a Laundry by the end of the 19th century. (2)
Engineering works in the early 20th century. (3)
A site visit showed that most early buildings survive, though some are boarded up. Cottages look occupied. (4)
Derbyshire Rifle Volunteer Barracks, Grade II listed. In use in 1998 as a store, houses, public toilets and tennis club. 1859 with minor late 20th century alteration. Designed by Edwin Thompson of Derby. Red brick with ashlar dressings and shallow hipped slate roofs with brick stacks. Perimeter wall 3 metres high of red brick with blue brick plinth and ashlar coping has diagonally set buttresses at regular intervals and main gateway to east with 2 square gate piers with pyramidal ashlar caps and iron over-throw. Single storey guard houses either side of gateway now converted to public toilets with alternating plank doors with overlights and glazing bar sash windows. Side wall to south-east. Side wall to south-west has original rifle range under continuous lean-to along its whole length supported on cast iron columns. Southern section glazed in to form tennis pavilion. North-west side has main barracks building, now store. 2 storey, 7 window, symmetrical façade with central doorways to both floors under segmental brick arches with double iron doors, upper doorway has balustrade. Either side 3 glazing bar iron windows on both floors. North-east side has former officer's accommodation. 2 storey block with 4 window centre and projecting single window side wings. 2 central glazing bar sashes flanked by single 4 panel doors and single blocked doors with further single glazing bar sashes beyond. Above 4 similar though smaller glazing bar sashes. Projecting wings have single similar sashes below and smaller sashes above. Sides have single central doors with single side sash and smaller central sash above. Former privies and wash houses to rear. This is a very rare and well preserved example of a local volunteer barracks. (5)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Brown, J. Observation based on personal experience, map evidence, site visit etc..
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1376569.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 33756 35835 (86m by 91m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 4:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.