Toll House, No. 315 Burton Road. Two storey rendered brick toll house of plain rectangular box shape. Early nineteenth century origin, located at Windmill Field Gate on the Derby to Burton on Trent turnpike of 1753. (1)
The listed building description gives a date of 'early to mid-19th century'. Map evidence suggests the latter. The toll house is shown on a map of Derby dated 1852 as 'Windmill Field Gate' (2); however, Sanderson's map of 1835 indicates a toll bar slightly closer to Derby. Unfortunately, it is right at the limits of Sanderson's map, which does not include the site of No. 315. (3).
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 31.
Map: Board of Ordnance. 1852. Map of the Borough of Derby … Surveyed … for the local Board of Health A.D.1852.
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34286 34914 (11m by 17m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 4:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.