Canal Bridge, Railway Terrace. A separate bridge was needed to take the North Midland line north of Derby Station over the line of the Derby Canal because of the different level from the river crossing. On the east side, the original form of the bridge with a flat deck of iron bearing on masonry walls with distinctive stone pillars and cappings survives; the west side was widened in 1862. A wide tow path edged with stonework survives on the north side; at the north east corner of the pillar can be seen a number of grooves cut by years of tow ropes being pulled round the corner. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. pp 34-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36089 35925 (194m by 142m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2017 11:07AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.