Accumulator House, Mansfield Road. The Midland and Great Northern railways employed hydraulic power in their good yards for cranes, capstans and lifts. Both accumulator buildings (accumulators evened out the flow under varying load) have survived (see SMR 32218). The MR building in the St Mary's goods yard is a one and two storey red and cream brick structure with stone dressings dating from the 1860s. Now St Peter's House offices. (1)
The Accumulator Tower was built c. 1860 from red brick with white and blue brick dressings and a slate roof. It is 2 storey and square in plan with single storey square plan pavillions to the east. The west front has 2 round headed windows on the ground floor with unusually complex metal glazing, under ashlar rusticated heads. Above are 2 similar windows. It is listed as grade II for group value only. This building was probably designed for the Midland Railway by Thompson and Fryer. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 35.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1230521.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35518 36860 (22m by 22m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2017 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.