Grain Warehouse, Mansfield Road. Four storey red brick with ashlar dressings with slate gabled roof with distinctive dentilled eaves and end-gables. Built in the 1860s as part of the St Mary's goods yard complex and converted to offices in the 1990s. Now St Katherine's House. (1)
The Grain Warehouse was built between 1861-2 from red brick with ashlar and red brick dressings and slate roofs with dentilated brick eaves and ashlar coped gables, and a single gable brick chimney stack. There are identical east and west facades of 5 bays with a recessed centre bay and end bays. There is a round headed central window with rusticated ashlar head, flanked by single doorways, each with double plank doors under segment heads with rusticated ashlar heads. Each of the projecting bays is stopped by a shallow pediment. The interior retains wooden flooring supported on cast iron columns, with various internal hoists still intact. This building was probably designed for the Midland Railway by Thompson and Fryer. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 35.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1230522.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35531 36884 (25m by 29m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2017 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.