Town Goods Shed, Mansfield Road. Single storey brick structure with ashlar dressings with a slate roof projecting as a canopy along the two sides supported on large ornamental cast-iron brackets. Again dates from the 1860s. In multiple occupancy and now known as St Thomas's. (1)
The Goods shed was built c. 1860 from red brick with red brick and ashlar dressings and a slate roof with over hanging eaves. It is single storey, with a triple ridge roof running north-south. The north and south fronts each have a central train entrance divided into 3 by square cast iron columns. There are identical east and west fronts which have alternating groups of 3 round headed windows and large loading entrances. The projecting protective roof is supported on 28 cast iron brackets decorated with 4 decreasing circles. The south front entrance is flanked by projecting lower office wings both with round headed windows and doors. This building was probably designed for the Midland Railway by Thompson and Fryer. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 35.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1278572.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35539 36955 (70m by 90m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2017 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.