Building record MDR10330 - Former bonded store, Clarke Street, Derby
Type and Period (1)
(Former Type) (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1882 AD to 1950 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Bonded Store, Clarke Street. Two storey brick structure with slate roof with roadway fully raised up to first floor level for vehicle access to doorways on St Mary's goods yard. Built in 1882. Now known as the Derwent Business Centre. (1)
Brick built two storey Italianate former bonded warehouse, similar in style to the other buildings in St. Mary’s goods yard which are listed. Built in 1882 as a cheese and beer warehouse for the railway, it has a double hipped slate roof with cornices at eaves, and a tower at the side with deeply overhanging hipped roof. A survivor of the Midland Railway’s establishment of its St. Mary’s Goods Yard. Converted to offices recently and little altered from its original form. The roadway is raised up to first floor level for vehicular access to doorways on the west side for loading goods. Space within ground floor in which the rail line passed through has been retained. Designed by John Holloway Sanders for Midland Railway. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 37.
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 41.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35797 36973 (36m by 97m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2017 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.