Friar Gate Bridge. Ornate bridge by Andrew Handyside & Co of Derby taking the Great Northern Railway Derbyshire Extension railway over Friar Gate into the adjacent station. It comprises two parallel cast-iron segmental arch bridges set close together; each bridge is made up of two very close-together spans. Above the outer iron arches is cantilevered cast-iron balustrading, the panels having delicate pierced decoration. The spandrels are also similarly infilled with fine pierced ironwork incorporating the Derby Buck in the Park emblem. The bridge is isolated following the demolition of all the high level viaduct to the east, except for a single arch. (1)
Friar Gate Bridge was built in 1878 by Andrew Handyside and Co, Ironfounders of Derby. It has stone abutments and a segmental arch over the roadway with very delicate cast iron ornament in the spandrels and to the balustrade. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 44.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1216461.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34689 36413 (31m by 24m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:23AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.