Monument record MDR10358 - Handyside Arch Birdge, over the River Derwent, Derby

Type and Period (1)

  • (Former Type) (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1880 AD to 1950 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

River Derwent Bridge. Unusual design of bridge by Andrew Handyside & Co, taking the Great Northern Railway Derbyshire Extension Railway over the River Derwent. The track deck is partly hung from the lattice construction bow arches over the centre section and supported on the arch at the ends towards the stone abutments. The bridge is on the skew so the bow arches are at a staggered alignment. Now a pedestrian footway. (1) This former railway bridge (now confined to pedestrian traffic) was built in 1878 by Andrew Handyside and Company, Ironfounders of Derby, as was the bridge spanning Friar Gate (qv). It is an interesting structure, the deck which formerly carried the track is hung from steel segmental arches of lattice construction with a span of some 130 ft. There are stone abutments and parapet walls at the sides. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 45.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1215438.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 35214 37174 (55m by 67m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.