British Celanese, Station Road, Spondon. Works established as the British Celanese and Chemical Co in 1916 by the Dreyfus brothers to produce cellulose dope for aircraft fabric. Changed name to British Celanese in 1918 and began developing cellulose acetate (rayon) fibres. Production started in 1921. Cigarette filters were produced after 1955. Taken over by Courtaulds in 1957 and then by Akzo Nobel in 1998. Now called Acordis Acetate, producing cellulose fibres and flakes. (1)
Examination of aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1951 showed a number of air raid shelters on the southernmost part of the site. (2)
The 4th edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the 1930s shows numerous buildings across the whole site, linked by a network of railway lines. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 62.
Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 39997 34470 (1150m by 1308m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.