North Mill, Engine and Boiler House, Old Lane, Darley Abbey. Three storey brick 13 bay L-shaped range with attic, aligned east-west, with six bay north-south return at east, all with slate roof, built in c.1825 and enlarged in the late nineteenth century. Multi-paned windows with stone lintels and again of fire-resistant construction. The three bay single storey engine house and four bay boiler house were added some time before 1881. (1)
The Dyeing Shop. The building known as the Dyeing Shop is detached to the north of the main complex of mill buildings. It has twelve bays, three storeys and an attic. It is of fireproof construction with stone lintels and cast-iron columns. Built c.1820. Originally water-powered from the west end of building; steam power provided in later 19th century at east end, where engine-house and boiler-house survive. Further improvements were made in 1923, when the water-wheels were entirely replaced by turbines which drove D.C. electricity generators. (2)
The mill closed in the late 1960s but still flourishes after a fashion, split up into smaller industrial units. (3)
North Mill. Also known as the Dye House, three-storey brick fireproof mill of c.1835. 13 bays of brick vaults carried on cast-iron beams, supported on cast-iron columns. Large multi-paned sash windows have stone wedge lintels. Welsh slate roof, with trussed structure entirely of cast-iron of inverted T-section with wrought-iron king rods. Projecting privy tower. Extension to north of one and a half storeys added in mid 19th century. Engine and boiler house. Brick built boiler house and engine house added to the North Mill between 1846-1881. The eastern range has been altered and a pair of windows replaced with a large garage door. The original roof covering has been replaced with felt. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 58.
Unpublished document: Menuge, A (English Heritage). 2000. Boar's Head Mills, Darley Abbey, Derby, English Heritage Briefing Notes. p 4, B1 and Key Plan.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 54.
Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer: 14-005 and 14-006.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.