Preparation Building and Cart Sheds, Old Lane, Darley Abbey. Two storey, seven bay brick range with Welsh slate roofs, aligned NW/SE, having remains of a three bay return to the SW later converted to cart sheds, all dating from the 1790s. The interior is an early example of a degree of fire resistant construction with the timber floors supported on cast-iron columns and the timber covered in plaster to provide protection. These techniques were developed by William at Derby and Belper, and by Benyon Bage & Marshall at Shrewsbury. (1)
Buildings forming north side of mill complex. Long two-storeyed range, gabled east-west. Ground floor incorporates a number of large arched openings allowing carts to pass in and out of the building. Of outstanding importance is its fire-retarding construction with plaster covering timber beams, a precursor of fire-proofing, which suggests a building date in the early 1790s. The angled east end is continued by the rear wall of a later single-storeyed open-fronted range, probably cart-sheds. (2)
The mill closed in the late 1960s but still flourishes after a fashion, split up into smaller industrial units. (3)
Preparation Building, also known as Proto-fireproof building, Ellison's Metal Products. Long two-storey range of 1797-1801, containing the earliest surviving fire-proof structure in the Derwent Valley. Originally described as "Buildings in Wood Yard" and "New Shops". Brick range with slate roofs. Ground floor has cart entrances and first floor has two external flights of stairs to well-fenestrated workshops. A number of cast-iron windows survive, with later timber windows. Building attached to south of Preparation Building. This six-bay range started life as "Shed in Woodyard", built 1799-1800, extended by two bays to the south between 1811 and 1846. Formerly fully open-fronted, it remains so in part. Building currently in use as a car repair garage. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 58.
Unpublished document: Menuge, A (English Heritage). 2000. Boar's Head Mills, Darley Abbey, Derby, English Heritage Briefing Notes. p 4 and Key Plan.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 54.
Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer: 14-007, 14-008.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.