Building record MDR10405 - Cottage and Former Workshop, Old Lane, Darley Abbey, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- WORKSHOP (Georgian - 1790 AD to 1800 AD)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Georgian - 1790 AD to 1800 AD)
Cottage and Workshop, Old Lane, Darley Abbey. A further seven bay section also dating from the 1790s under the same roof as Preparation Building and Cart Sheds (SMR32268), the western section being occupied by a cottage. (1) The mill closed in the late 1960s but still flourishes after a fashion, split up into smaller industrial units. (2) The Cottage and Workshop is a 7 bay building under the same roofline as the preparation building and probably dating from the 1790s. The westernmost 3 bays are occupied by a dwelling and the remainder by a workshop. There are a variety of windows, some sash frames, the others with cast-iron frames below shallow brick arched lintels. (3)
- <1> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 58.
- <2> SDR19698 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 54.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1067809.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35361 38677 (19m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM