Listed Building record MDR10433 - Darley Abbey (C of E) School, Darley Abbey, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH SCHOOL (Georgian to Late 20th Century - 1826 AD to 1970 AD)
- Listed Building (II*) 400939: NOS. 1 AND 2, BRICK ROW
- World Heritage Site
In Brick Row, the School (C of E), built in 1826. Brick, of two storeys and nine bays, the end and central bays pedimented. The ground-floor windows are round-headed in arched recesses. (1) The school, an elegantly proportioned and finely detailed classical building erected in 1826. The central floating pediment with its Whitehurst & Son clock is bold, as are the windows set in the blind arcade. The architect is unknown, unfortunately; it cost Walter Evans £3,000, so it was by no means cheap! (2) Former St Matthew's School, nos 1 & 2 Brick Row. School of 1826 endowed by Walter Evans built to replace the original school, which was in the attic of the Long Mill at the nearby mill complex. It was designed with houses at either end for the school mistress and school master. Brick-built with slate roofs in formal classical style with round-headed window in recessed panels, reminiscent of John Carr of York. Triangular pediments to end bays, and central pediment which houses clock. Probably replaced by the school to the west of the parish church in the 1970s (3) Nos. 1 and 2 Brick Row were built in 1826 as school rooms, designed by Moses Wood of Nottingham. It is a 9 bay, 2 storey, brick built, slated roof building, with centre and projecting end pediments. It has now been converted to offices. Classrooms would have been in the centre at ground floor and first floor level and schoolhouses at either end. The ground floor door and window openings are round headed and set in round headed recesses, there is a sill band to first floor, a stone cornice to the roof and a broad pediment in the centre with a clock made by John Whitehurst of Derby. Plain cast iron railings built off stone walls surround the building. Internally there are cast iron columns supporting the upper floor and a turret clock with one external dial and two internal ones - one serving each of the two schoolrooms. The school was commissioned by Walter Evans to replace school rooms in the adjacent terrace. The building is very substantially complete in all its external detail and is a fine example of a simple monumental school building. (4)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 193.
- <2> SDR19698 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 55.
- <3> SDR20056 Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer: 14-027.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1287988.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35093 38444 (25m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 24 2023 11:40AM