Monument record MDR10434 - Derwentbank, formerly Darley Grove, (site of) , Darley Abbey, Derby

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

When Glover described this house (then called Darley Grove) as a "stone mansion with a portico", he was doing this considerable and stylish house scant justice. It was two and a half storeys high; the main block was five by three bays, generously proportioned with a rusticated ground floor, jalousies and cill bands to the fenestration, all framed by giant pilasters at the angles. The entrance front boasted a single storey projecting porch with a round-headed arch; the house had a low hipped roof hidden by a parapet, and a five bay two-storey wing to the north of the main block, giving a ten bay front. The wing had a bow with a return beyond making 11 bays. Inside it was very gracious, plain and with a Hoptonwood hall floor and stair with decorated cast iron balustrade and a "padded room" on the first floor. The house was built in 1811 for Thomas Bridgett, a Derby silk throwster. His eldest son sold the house to the Strutts in 1841. In 1877 the estate was offered to Derby Corporation; however, they refused. The house then had various owners but after 1922 it lay unoccupied. It was demolished in 1925 and the site redeveloped. (1) In 1821 Mr Thomas Bridgett's Darley Grove was built to a design by Alderman Richard Leaper. By the 1870s the house was renamed Derwent Bank and was then owned by W H Worthington. (2) Completed in 1825, Darley Grove had five bay fa├žade to the west of the house and two and-a-half storeys high. The lower two storey wing was built onto a rocky terrace overlooking cascading gardens almost to the Derwent. The House was sold to Edward Strutt in 1834 and was demolished in 1926 for a housing development. (3) See SMR 32302 for the associated parkland/gardens

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 28.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 51.
  • <3> Article in serial: Craven M. 2013. 'Great Taste and Much Experience in Building: Richard Leaper, Amateur Architect', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 133, pages 189-212.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 34884 37769 (24m by 63m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 9 2017 11:57AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.