Parkland originally associated with Darley Abbey/Hall (SMR 32299). In 1727 the park stretched to the north side of Bridge Gate and on the west to the crest of the hill, up which runs Duffield Road. In 1767 the park of St Helen's was carved out of it (SMR 32303) and in 1821 that of Derwent Bank (SMR 32302). In 1778 Robert Holden had the park landscaped by William Emes, a local follower of Capability Brown. It became a public park in 1929 when the last owner, Mrs Adelaide Evans, left it and the house to the town in her will. (1)
Garden walls at former Darley Hall. Brick-built kitchen garden walls with flat stone copings that served the former Darley Hall. May be 18th century in origin. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 53.
Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer: 14-029.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35181 38331 (693m by 895m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.