Monument record MDR10455 - Flint and pottery, immediately west of Markland Grips, Elmton
Type and Period (2)
- FLINT SCATTER (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 507752 Markland Grips, Flint Material. An amount of flint was collected by L B Cooper and C R Hart in 1979, from a field outside the Iron Age hillfort. The material comprised a core scraper, a core and 5 utilised flakes. (1) During fieldwalking of the field centred at SK 508752 in December 1984/January 1985, one leaf arrowhead fragment, three single end flake scrapers, one double side flake scraper, one circular flake scraper with all-round retouch, one flake scraper fragment, 2 cores, 44 flakes and 35 fragments of miscellaneous waste were collected. Pottery finds included 17 Romano-British sherds (13 of grey ware, 2 Derbyshire ware and 2 Samian). There were also four medieval pottery sherds, and a large number of post-medieval and modern sherds. The field is adjacent to and outside the ramparts of Markland Grips hillfort and partly occupies the site of the demolished outer ramparts. (2, 3)
- <1> SDR11608 Index: NDAT. 3985. 3985.
- <2> SDR19661 Archive: Knight, D (TPAT). 1984-1986. Fieldwalking Survey of Elmton - archive fieldwalking sheets held in the SMR. Acc. No. E52.
- <3> SDR18656 Article in serial: Knight, D, Garton, D, & Leary, R (TPAT). 1998. 'The Elmton fieldwalking survey: prehistoric and Romano-British artefact scatters', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 118, pp 69-85.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 50838 75231 (190m by 206m)|
|Civil Parish||ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:29PM