Building record MDR10457 - Community Centre, Chaddesden Lane, Chaddesden, Derby
Type and Period (3)
- SCHOOL ? (Georgian to Victorian - 1736 AD? to 1872 AD?)
- INFANT SCHOOL (Victorian - 1872 AD to 1872 AD)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1872 AD to 1872 AD)
- None recorded
Former Victorian village school, single storey with projecting gable at front and bracketed eaves. Slate covered roof and mix of timber and cast iron windows. Six courses of alternating blue and red engineering bricks and a blue brick string course underneath the windows. Little altered. The school was later used as a Methodist chapel and finally a community centre. This is the only Victorian school building in Chaddesden. (1) According to Bulmer in 1895, the National School, Chaddesden was a neat building of brick, erected in 1872, to accommodate 160 children. (2) According to Kelly in 1912, the Public Elementary (mixed and infants) School in Chaddesden was errected in 1872 and enlarged in 1889, for 160 children. (3) Craven mentions the first school in the parish was founded in 1705; it was refounded by Robert Wilmot in1736-7, but in the present century was demolished. A later school opposite Church Lane was also gone by 1958. However, there is no evidence as to where this building was, the school on the existing site was extant in the late 1800s. (4)(5)
- <1> SDR21254 Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 36-7.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 717.
- <3> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 92.
- <4> SDR19698 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 40.
- <5> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 38098 37027 (44m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 4:16PM