Monument record MDR10458 - Chaddesden Hall and outbuildings (site of), Chaddesden, Derby
Type and Period (2)
(Stuart to Early 20th Century - 1626 AD? to 1926 AD?)
(Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1720 AD? to 1926 AD?)
Loading documents & images
By 1626 the Wilmots from Derby had built their hall …. The Wilmots replaced their house in the 1720s but sold up in 1926 when the hall was destroyed and much of their estate and parkland [SMR 32318] became available for 'redevelopment'. (1)
Chaddesden Hall was built about 1727 for Sir Edward Wilmot, 1st Bt., and described by Hutton as "an elegant house". Photographs show it to have been constructed of brick with stone dressings and with a flat roof. The Wilmots left the house after the death of Gen. Sir Henry Wilmot, VC, and disposed of it to Derby Corporation between the wars, whereupon it was demolished 'with that authority's customary alacrity' and a housing estate built over the park. (2)
Late 19th century OS maps show a range of buildings to the north-west of the Hall, presumably outbuildings such as stables and a coach-house. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. pp 39-40.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p 26.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 38117 36793 (57m by 111m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 4:16PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.