Monument record MDR10459 - Chaddesden Park, Chaddesden, Derby

Type and Period (4)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Parkland associated with Chaddesden Hall (SMR 32317). By 1626 the Wilmots from Derby had built their hall …. The Wilmots replaced their house in the 1720s but sold up in 1926 when the hall was destroyed and much of their estate and parkland became available for 'redevelopment'. Ridge and furrow is still visible in the park (since 1926 a public open space). (1) It is not known whether the parkland was established in association with the first or second hall. Park Close was recorded in a deed of 1728, indicating that it is likely to have been in existence at the time of completion of the second building. Comparison of historic maps shows that the park was considerable extended either at the end of the 18th century or the beginning of the 19th. The 1792 Enclosure Map shows the western boundary to have been Chaddesden Lane, then called Meadow Lane, which ran on a different course at its southern end. It was lined on its western side with houses and gardens. The park was divided into three enclosures, 'The Ashes', 'Little Pasture' and 'Great Pasture' and there was a long narrow pond running the length of the area. By 1835 most of these houses had disappeared and the southern end of Meadow Lane had been altered to that of the present Chaddesden Lane. This probably occurred at Enclosure, since the altered section is shown as 'Derby Road' on the 1792 map cutting through pre-existing crofts and yards. The fishponds were extended to the south of Nottingham Road. The 1883 OS map showed the northern long narrow pond divided into sections, with a number of weirs probably used to maintain water heights and create a stepped flight of ponds. However by 1900 the majority of fishponds had silted up, and in the 1920s the northern part was adapted for use as a paddling pool in the public park. By 1938 most of the ponds within the park had been filled in. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. pp 39-40.
  • <2> Unpublished document: May, R (ARCUS). 2008. An Archaeological Desk-based Assessment of Land at Chaddesden Park, Derby.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3807 3671 (1556m by 1280m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 29 2021 9:58AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.