Building record MDR10470 - Former Cottons Farm, Sinfin Golf Course, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The golf shop at Sinfin Golf Course occupies part of the farmhouse and ancillary buildings of Cottons Farm. On inspection, the current surviving buildings appear to be 19th century, and comparison with Tithe and OS maps suggests a construction date of 1848 to the 1880s. (1) 'By the later seventeenth century the land at Cottons was owned and farmed by the Radfords, and it was Edwin Radford who sold the freehold … around 1920 to Derby Corporation, who let out the farm as a tenanted small holding, adapting most of the remainder of the estate as Derby's first municipal golf course, opened … 1923. The rest went for council houses'. (2) Early 19th century farm buildings. With large extension of circa 1850, now derelict. 2 storey farm building, most recently used as offices. Red brick, stone dressings. Slate roof. Sliding sash windows. Good large original farm outbuilding to rear, also in a poor state of repair.
- <1> SDR19701 Unpublished document: Kinsley, G.. 2004. An Archaeological Desk-Top Assessment of Proposed Sewer Works at Sinfin Municipal Golf Course, Derbyshire. 4.
- <2> SDR19698 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 48.
- <3> SDR21254 Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 55.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35319 32079 (126m by 102m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2019 4:03PM