Photograph caption: In 1719 William Stukeley drew a map of Little Chester, and this clearly shows the Coach and Horses (then called the Crown) on the corner of Mansfield Road and Old Chester Road. It had acquired its present title by 1750 when coaches may have started using it. In 1871 Alderman Clarke's brewery owned it, and in 1905 it became the property of Offiler's who rebuilt it. (1)
It is evident from historic maps that the earlier building was on a different alignment to the present one, lying with its long axis east-north-east/west-south-west. This is shown on the Board of Health map of 1852 and the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2, 3) The new building is shown on the 2nd ed. OS map of 1901, indicating it had been rebuilt at an earlier date than that given by Authority 1. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 76.
Map: Board of Ordnance. 1852. Map of the Borough of Derby … Surveyed … for the local Board of Health A.D.1852.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.9.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.9, 1901.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35605 37523 (36m by 28m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.