Littleover Hall, rebuilt c.1600, and replaced in the 1890s. The Hollow is an ancient hollow way marking the eastern edge of the Park of the Hall. (1)
Park areas of Derby are mentioned generally in 'The Natural History of Derbyshire'- 'Derby, 122 Miles from London, took its Name from having been Park, or Shelter for Deer; it stands on the West Side of the River Derwent, and the South Side of it is watered by a little Rivulet called Martin Brook… this Town is, by the best Account, very antient; for we find it was a royal Borough in the Reign of Edward the Confessor, and much is said, in History, of the Revolutions and Fates it underwent in the Time of the Saxon and Danish Wars.' (2)
Littleover Old Hall, (SMR32347)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 76, p 93.
Bibliographic reference: Martin, B. 1765. The Natural History of Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 32673 34024 (575m by 550m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2022 12:06PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.