(Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1840 AD? to 1950 AD?)
Loading documents & images
The Pastures [see SMR 32349] was rebuilt in 1806 for the Peels, for whom the Queen's gardener, their cousin the Reverend Christopher Alderson (1737-1814), laid out the park. The walled garden was laid out in the 1840s, probably by Lord Harrington's gardener, William Barrow of Breaston (1805-1891). The gates were cast by Weatherhead, Glover & Co of Derby. The park includes a lake, at one end of which is an iron bridge of c. 1890. Today most of the park and gardens have been built on. (1)
The estate that had belonged to the original house was landscaped and enlarged after it was inherited by Cockshutt Heathcote in 1826, when it acquired 2 ornamental lakes in its 88 acres. (2)
Sales Particulars of 1840 describe the estate as "A productive kitchen garden and orchard, a flower garden and green house - delightful pleasure grounds requiring but little expense to keep up - umbrageous walks encircle the home paddock and the ornamental waters which are plentifully stocked with fish, and the lawns are studded with parterres of the choicest flowers and shrubs, and an extraordinary variety of forest trees, beautifully undulated, and richly timbered park like upland and water meadows …". The lake is shown on the plan of the estate which accompanies these Particulars as having a tributary extending from the northern end of the lake, east, towards the house. This was later removed when the wall was constructed around the kitchen garden. The northern lake disappeared after 1938. By the time of a survey of the house in 1993 the Home Farm, Kitchen Gardens and Kennels had been demolished to make way for a housing estate. The fine cast iron kitchen garden gates did, however, remain although in a state of severe disrepair. Other structures and buildings recorded in the grounds in 1993 included a boathouse, footbridge, pump house, stable block and summerhouse, as well as the former lodge [see SMR 32442]. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. pp 87-8, illust..
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 59.
Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1996. Historic Buildings Report, The Pastures, Rykneld Road, Derby.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 31856 33178 (417m by 505m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2020 2:55PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.