Monument record MDR10498 - Parkland and garden (site of), Fairfield House, Littleover, Derby

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1842 AD? to 1934 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Fairfield House and its landscape gardens are shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS of c.1880 (1) 2nd ed. 25" OS map of c.1899 (2) Fairfield House was built c.1842. (3) Park areas of Derby are mentioned generally in 'The Natural History of Derbyshire'- 'Derby, 122 Miles from London, took its Name from having been Park, or Shelter for Deer; it stands on the West Side of the River Derwent, and the South Side of it is watered by a little Rivulet called Martin Brook… this Town is, by the best Account, very antient; for we find it was a royal Borough in the Reign of Edward the Confessor, and much is said, in History, of the Revolutions and Fates it underwent in the Time of the Saxon and Danish Wars.' (4) See also: Fairfield House, (SMR32355)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 89.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Martin, B. 1765. The Natural History of Derbyshire.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 33805 34588 (245m by 232m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 5 2021 10:38AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.