This and one other barrow [SMR 11505] were opened on the 5th May 1849 by Thomas Bateman. This barrow had been re-used as a [post-medieval?] limekiln [SMR 11506] which had been constructed above a rock cut grave, the capstone of which had been converted into the roof of the draught hole of the kiln. After this discovery, Bateman abandoned the excavation having not found any human remains. (1-3).
During a field survey in 1966, neither of the barrows were located. (4). This conclusion was echoed by Barnatt when he determined that this barrow was destroyed or lost. (5). As the precise location of this barrow is unknown, the approximate location on Low Moor has been plotted. (6).
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p49.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p83.
Personal Observation: Harper, F. 1966. Personal observations regarding barrows in Eaton and Alsop, Parwich and Ballidon, July 1966.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:37.
Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 192 567 (point) (Approximate)
PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 5 2012 4:17PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.