Skip to main content

Monument record MDR1051 - Low Moor barrow (2 of 2), Low Moor, Parwich

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Two barrows on Low Moor near Parwich were opened by Thomas Bateman on the 5th May 1849. This record refers to the smaller of the two [see SMR 11504] and stood at one foot high. It was found to to cover a grave sunk into the rock which contained fragments of pottery, pieces of human bone, burnt and unburnt, traces of decomposed wood, the disturbed skeleton of an infant and fragments of roughlty ornamented vase. The barrow has previously been opened, probably in Medieval times. (1,2,4,5). A field survey in 1966 could not locate either of these barrows. (3). Barnatt also concludes that this barrow was destroyed or lost. (5). The precise location of this barrow is unknown and therefore it has been plotted in Low Moor. (6).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p49.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p83.
  • <3> Personal Observation: Harper, F. 1966. Personal observations regarding barrows in Eaton and Alsop, Parwich and Ballidon, July 1966.
  • <4> Index: NDAT. 1683. 1683. 1683.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:38.
  • <6> Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..



Grid reference SK 192 567 (point) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 31 2007 9:54AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.