Monument record MDR10544 - Cornmill Cottage, Cathole, Holymoorside and Walton
Type and Period (5)
(Former Type) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
(Former Type) (Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1807 AD?)
(Former Type) (Georgian to Victorian - 1812 AD? to 1890 AD?)
(Victorian to 21st Century - 1890 AD? to 2050 AD)
(Former Type) (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1890 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Cornmill cottage has been converted from an original mill-building and two millstones are preserved near the drive. The mill was originally connected with the lead industry. An early reference comes from a deed dated 1698. It was called Cathole Mill and stood on the Duke of Newcastle's estates. There was a red lead mill and a pig-lead smelting mill, both under the same roof but apparently worked as separate concerns. The lead-smelting mill continued to operate into the 19th cnetury, but probably stopped working in 1807. It was certainly idle in 1812, when it was leased to one Thomas Hayes for conversion to corn milling. The corn mill was still working in around 1887 but ceased some time after that date, when the succeeding occupier built an extension onto the house towards the road and took out the waterwheel and machinery. (1)
Cathole Corn Mill, Holymoorside. A smelting mill and red lead mill were at Cathole, the location being presently known as 'CornMill Cottages', a house conversion. The history of the mill is unclear but in1812 Thomas Hayes leased the mill from the Chatsworth Estate and converted it from a smelter to a corn mill 'at his own expense'. The mill contained three pairs of stones, one black and two grey (or Derbyshire stone). It is marked on the 1876 Ordnance Survey map as 'cathole Corn Mill' and a mill pond is shown adjacent to it. No information is available as to when it stopped working but the property was converted into a house sme years ago. There are presently two millstones in the garden. (2)
Article in serial: Oakley, R. 1961. 'The mills of Holymoorside', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol 2 (6), pp 330-339. Site B, pp 333-334.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 33590 68749 (58m by 56m)
HOLYMOORSIDE AND WALTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2015 2:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.