Monument record MDR10552 - Ridge and furrow, Pastures Hill, Littleover, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLOUGH HEADLAND ? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A linear earthwork visible in this area was originally identified as being the agger of Ryknield Street Roman road, continuing, albeit on a different alignment, a second stretch of agger visible a short distance to the south-west (see SMR 32050). Both sections of earthwork were originally scheduled and both were recorded as being 5m wide and 0.75m high. (1) A walkover survey of the site in 2003 noted that the line of the earthwork, which measured a maximum of 0.45m in height and 12m in width, was also further defined by a short avenue of trees. Ridge and furrow earthworks were identified to the south-east. (2) Five evaluation trenches were excavated in this area in 2003 although the linear earthwork itself was not excavated. No features of archaeological interest were recorded in any of the trenches and no artefacts were recovered. It was suggested that the earthwork could represent a substantial plough headland. (3) Following this work, the scheduling was revised and the earthwork in this area was descheduled. (4)
- <1> SDR18805 Scheduling record: EH. 1963. Two sections of Rykneld street Roman Road West of Littleover. 23287. Cat. No. 236.
- <2> SDR19718 Unpublished document: Hancox, E (BUFAU). 2003. Crest Motel, Littleover, Derby, an archaeological desk-based assessment. p 6.
- <3> SDR19719 Unpublished document: Cherrington, R (BUFAU). 2003. Land Adjoining the Former Post House Hotel, Littleover, Derby. An Archaeological Evaluation.. Trenches 6 to 11, pp 8-12, p 16.
- <4> SDR19720 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2004. Section of Rykneld Street Roman road and remains of Bronze Age cemetery at Littleover. 23287. Cat. No. 236.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 32605 34267 (119m by 87m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 10 2015 12:06PM