Monument record MDR10602 - Quarry 300m north-east of Southwood House Farm, Ticknall

Type and Period (1)

  • (Former Type) (Victorian - 1850 AD? to 1880 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Small sandstone quarry located on a geological outcrop extending across the northern half of Southwood Common in a south-east to north-westerly direction. The quarry is roughly circular in plan, c.20m in diameter and heavily covered with vegetation, although its southern half remains exposed as an outcrop. It was probably opened up for use during the second half of the 19th century. Recently [in 1987] it has been used for dumping domestic rubbish. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. p 201.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 36214 21594 (20m by 19m)
Civil Parish TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3714

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 24 2017 4:34PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.