Monument record MDR10605 - Line of boundary ditch, Southwood, Calke
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A sketch plan endorsed 'Southwood Common March 1775' shows a line continuing south-eastwards from the road to Ticknall near Southwood House. It is marked 'Ancient Double Ditch made by the Priory Tenants' and separated 'Caulk Inclosures' from an area of Southwood Common that was in dispute at that time. The 'double ditch' is now a footpath, and is probably an old route, the road being realigned to the south-west when the disputed part of the common was incorporated into Calke parish. (1)
- <1> SDR8879 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. Fig. 14, p 68.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3636 2160 (699m by 323m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2015 12:41PM