Building record MDR10609 - Bretby Hall, Bretby Park, Bretby
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Bretby Hall. Country house, now hospital. Early 17th century north-west range (originally a range of outbuildings to an earlier house, though separate from it), extensively restored in the 19th century. James Wyatt did work at Bretby before 1813. Extensive rebuilding in castellated gothic style, 1813-1815, by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for the 5th Earl of Chesterfield. (1) See listed building record for full description. A massive house built 1813-1815 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville and others of his family for the Earls of Chesterfield. East front has drum towers at the angles and a central projection with angle turrets, the whole embattled. The interiors are largely classical. The rear of the building is almost detached, and earlier, but did not escape restoration in the last century. (2) Tree ring analysis of samples taken from 32 oak timbers from Bretby Hall resulted in the production of felling dates for timbers from four parts of the building. The majority of timbers in the roof of the north range east wing were probably felled c. AD 1618-19 although some may have been as late as c. AD 1639. Timbers of the primary build of the north range were felled in AD 1719, while timbers of the south range roof were felled AD 1800-1805. Timbers of the east range have felling dates in the mid-17th century varying from c. AD 1640 to as late as c. AD 1669. (3) A probate inventory for Bretby Hall made in 1816 is held in the National Archives. It lists all the rooms in turn and details their furniture, providing a record of the house as it was furnished when new. (4)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 9/3022/002.
- <2> SDR4305 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p 22, illust..
- <3> SDR19741 Bibliographic reference: Howard, R, Laxton, R & Litton, C. 1999. Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers from Bretby Hall, Bretby, Derbyshire.. Ancient Monuments Laboratory Report Series 43/1999.
- <4> SDR20639 Bibliographic reference: Heath, P. 2007. 'Bretby Hall in 1816', South Derbyshire Heritage News. Issue 25 (Summer), p 3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 29997 22529 (84m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||BRETBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:12AM