Monument record MDR10634 - Quarry 150m north-east of Southwood House Farm, Ticknall

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A survey of Calke Abbey Estate in 1987/8 identified a sandstone quarry almost opposite the entrance to Southwood House Farm. It is roughly circular in plan, 50m in diameter, with its south and west edges consisting of exposed stone faces heavily covered in vegetation, and its north and east faces comprising steep vegetation-covered slopes. The entrance to the quarry is at its northern end. This is probably the quarry referred to in 1842, opened up by Sir George Crewe but used by a Mr Tomlinson as a source of stone for putting on drain tiles. In 1987 the quarry was being used as a refuge tip by Derbyshire County Council and was described as having become an 'eyesore'. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. p 199.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 36050 21542 (75m by 74m)
Civil Parish CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3714

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 23 2015 12:43PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.