Monument record MDR10635 - Quarry 180m north of Southwood House Farm, Ticknall
Type and Period (2)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)
(Late 20th Century - 1970 AD to 1985 AD?)
Loading documents & images
A survey of Calke Abbey Estate in 1987/8 identified a small sandstone quarry c. 180m north of Southwood House Farm. V-shaped on plan with its longest axis aligned east-west, measuring c. 54m by c. 32m, probably quarried in a northerly direction. The west edge consists of an exposed stone face. The 1882 OS map shows a small building and enclosure built into the north wall of the quarry, probably a fold yard for livestock. A surviving stone revetment wall probably relates to this structure. At the base of the quarry, earthworks along its north, east and south walls relate to the later conversion of the site into a trout pond. This quarry was referred to in a dispute of 1842. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. p 198.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35874 21667 (62m by 61m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2017 3:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.