The Old Farmhouse stands to the east of Old Hall Cottage, away from the village and the church. It is a two-storey brick house with outbuildings, until recently a working farm. All the brickwork looks much the same - rich red bricks of a size and shape suggesting the late 18th century. The chief interest of the house lies in the splendid timber cross-wall - part of a timber frame, as at Old Hall Cottage (SMR 27434), although an earlier date is suggested here, perhaps 15th century. The earliest part of the house is the eastern end, a 15th century open hall, ceiled over to make an upper storey in the late 17th century. The brick walling is of the period c. 1750-1850, in several stages as the timber walls decayed. Minor alterations only have been made in the 20th century. The building could originally have been a steward's house or second gentry-house. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 4, August 28th 1987.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 32934 28919 (11m by 9m)
TWYFORD AND STENSON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2014 4:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.