The Corner Pin, a 19th century brick public house, has an attached cottage to the south, with a cruck truss in the south end wall belonging to a now demolished cottage. The present cottage can be dated, from the ceiling beams, to the Restoration period (1660-1688), but it may previously have formed a larger house, probably a farmhouse, incorporating the now demolished cottage. The size and quality of the cruck suggests a probable 16th century date for the farmhouse. (1)
No. 4 Swakeston Road was probably built in the 16th century but is much altered. The front is early 19th century painted brick. It is 2 storeys high with one 3-light casment window to the 1st floor and a sash window to the ground storey with glazing bars and modern shutter. It has a plain doorway on the left-hand side with a modern glazed door. The gabled end to the north has an exposed timber cruck frame with a truncated apex. The interior has exposed timber framing on the north side, and exposed ceiling beams to the ground storey. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 10, 7th February 1988.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1229612.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 37896 30241 (11m by 9m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2018 1:04PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.