Monument record MDR1067 - Field system, Roystone Rocks, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Single hilltop enclosed by Roman period wall and has Romano British settlements [SMR 945] on its east flank. Suggested winter pasture for stock. (1). A survey in 2000 recorded that these Romano-British field systems are well preserved and consist of lynchets and double orthostatic walls. The dating was based on excavation across one boundary and the walls. (3). Photographic record. (4). Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (5)
- <1> SDR4750 Article in serial: Hodges, R & Wildgoose, M. 1981. 'Romans in the White Peak Roystone Grange Project and its regional implications', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal.
- <2> SDR7214 Bibliographic reference: Hodges, R (University of Sheffield). 1991. Wall-to-Wall History: The Story of Roystone Grange.
- <3> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols..
- <4> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 961.1.
- <5> SDR22244 Unpublished document: Marriott, J (PDNPA). 2011. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Romano-British Field Wall and Embankment.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 19906 56616 (335m by 287m)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2014 2:26PM