Building record MDR10671 - Church Farm, Church Lane, Alvaston
Type and Period (4)
- GUILDHALL (Tudor to Elizabethan - 1500 AD? to 1600 AD?)
- CHURCH HALL (Tudor to Elizabethan - 1500 AD? to 1600 AD?)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Tudor to Elizabethan - 1500 AD? to 1600 AD?)
- CRUCK HOUSE (Tudor to Elizabethan - 1500 AD? to 1600 AD?)
This timber framed building is probably of 16th century date, with alterations in the 17th, and probably 19th, century. The house is tall, has whitewashed walls with studs exposed in some places, and a thatched roof under a cover of corrugated sheeting. The outstanding feature of the building is the very long bay of the cruck-built hall, the size of which perhaps suggests that its original purpose was as a church hall or guild hall. (1) Alvaston, Church Farm House. Two cruck frames with tiebeams and collars. One upper cruck on tiebeam in annexe. (2) Church Farmhouse was built in the 16th century with alterations and an extension in the 17th century. There have been further alterations in the 19th and 20th centuries. It is cruck-framed with close-studded side walls infilled and partly replaced by brick on a stone plinth. There is a thatched roof under corrugated sheeting. It is a 2 storey building with a 2-bay main range, a 1 storey partial outshut to the north with attic and a 1-bay wing to the west end. The central room was floored over in the 17th century and contains a wooden bressumer and heck post to the fireplace. There is a chamfered spine beam and the joists have broach stops (those to the spine beam are repeated within the passage to the east). The east room has 16th century ceiling joists of heavy scantling resting on a transverse beam and reset at a higher level in the 17th century, the room is divided by a stud partition with a doorway. The 1st floor has lime-ash floors, exposed crucks but the apex is not visible and curved wind braces. The west wing has a cranked tie beam and cruck-like principals with a crossed apex. For futher description see listing record. (3)
- --- SDR8885 Article in serial: Marston, F. 1967. 'Cruck frames of Derbyshire; an interim report', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 87, pp 117-122.
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 15, 10th April 1988.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1216018.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 39174 33250 (18m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:12PM