This is a narrow two-and-a-half-storey brick house, once the White Lion Inn, and a shop in 1989. Perhaps built as a house in the very early 18th century, with a kitchen extension and stable added soon after. The only alterations are the modernisation of the parlour fireplace in about 1790-1800 and the installation of the shop front in the 20th century. (1)
No. 4A Ashbourne Road is listed in a joint record with no. 4. No. 4A is a 2 storey building, with an attic in the gable and was built circa 1630, originally as the White Lion Inn. There are brick copings to the gable and eaves, partly restored but there are crudely restored brick stringcourses masked by rendering of painted cement. It has 2 modern casement windows. The interior retains a good moulded stone fireplace in a 1st storey room and exposed ceiling beams throughout. There is a large chimney to the rear with restored brick stack. Modern shop front. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 28, 20th January 1989.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1215648.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34342 36564 (16m by 19m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2020 9:35AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.